Unreal Grass


Fake grass, or synthetic turf (as professionals would have us say) has been around for some years now, not just in the privacy of our homes but actually on the nature strip- in public. I for one dislike fake grass immensely, however if people want to exhibit this shameful excuse for a lawn, please spare the rest of us and do it in the concealment of your own garden. It's bad enough that it's as ubiquitous around homes in Melbourne. This example of gross grass in my neighbourhood is sadly across the road from my house, in my plain sight whenever I go outside. In the photo you can see how phony and unnatural it looks- the perfectly manicured edges and plastic strands of green lies...what a sham! I know this may seem really harsh and you may think I'm overlooking the key benefactors of artifical turf like low/no maintanence, no need for pest and fungus control and long endurance. But is this really what the world is coming to? A fake, convinient, expensive way to have a 'feel' of nature?
No thanks. Real grass might not preserve that rich green colour all year round, and can sometimes be a bit of a pain to mow every once in a while, but it acts as a kind of carbon offset (really important in absorbing carbon dioxide). It can also act as a sound insulator to keep the noise levels down when you have those crazy parties and not to mention, very cheap. As far as i'm conserned, real flowers, trees, shrubs and grass is the only way to go.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah,
    As someone who in a past life sold and installed this crap I'm sorry! I completely agree its terrible and should be used only in circumstances where it could be considered an alternative to paving. Thats how i sold it for what its worth, I'm not proud of it but shit happens. Can you forgive me?
    D

    ReplyDelete